Cover made, it’s time to finish the brolly
Introducing the parasol I am loosely referring to as the Pink Phoenix. This is because it has risen from the ashes of a boring and broken brown rose print umbrella, and is ready to spread its wings and fly gloriously throughout the summer!
What festivals and fields will it travel to? Will it attend weddings and picnics and parades, sheltering the bearer, gracing them with a delicate dappled sunlight across their shoulders? What will happen when a crocheted wool umbrella visits a beach?
That is the future though. Currently, there are a few bits to finish off. First, I need to strap everything down. The photo below has everything tied in but not tied down.
Once fully stretched with the knots firmly tied, I also tie the cover in the centre at eight points, securely to the ribs. This keeps it taut for when I start to put on edges to attach the fringe.
This bit of fringing was a bit more challenging than usual. Because the wool I was using varied in colour throughout the skein, I didn’t want to put the whitest wool immediately beside the most pink and ruin the pattern.
To solve this, I cut off the pieces in batches and stored them carefully in a row for use throughout the fringing process.
Once fringed, now it’s time to put on tassels. There’s an obvious spot near the tip that has 8 crocheted loops to attach 8 tassels made with the last of the parasol wool.
The very end has a trio of pink pompoms on a string, for extra luxury fluffy nonsense 💕
After the tassels, it’s time to create the holder! That’s a story for another post though.
Thanks for reading!