Handmaking a crochet umbrella skin
I am not sure if brown-with-a-brown-rose print is a flattering canopy design. It was a lucky sunny day find when I needed a hat, but it is not an especially useful size to keep the rain off either. I still like it though – it is very well made structurally. But it is just, so brown. Earth colours are never flattering with my skin tone and it matches literally nothing in my wardrobe, house or life.
With these facts in mind, it should come as no surprise that I was pretty ambivalent when I noticed that the canopy had started to tear and should be probably retired as an umbrella. But…it would make a beautiful parasol!
Because the body of the umbrella is such good quality, I am very confident that it would be excellent to use as another crocheted parasol base. And I am keen to test out my parasol making skills again! It may be that the first one I had made was a fluke, after all.
This canopy was a gloriously easy one to cut off, there were just a few threads whipped around each rib that a small pair of sharp scissors could reach and snip.
Eight spokes = eight pineapple doily required.
I think it is important in these early stages to get all the stitches in place and ensure that the circle quarters evenly, and those quarters halve again into eighths. Dressmaking and hat pins were teamed up together to keep me on track.
I believe I’ve reached the end of crocheting the cover – now for the stretching, fastening, fringes and tassels. The tips of the pineapples (in orange) juuuuuuust reach the ends of the umbrella, and I will expect they will stretch a bit with use. The last outside chain (in light pink) is where I will attach the wool fringe.
Thanks for reading! Part two of this parasol how-to will be available in the next few weeks.